Comedy Filmmaking Teams Head to LA to Meet With Industry Heavyweights
By CFC Staff March 06, 2012 17:00
Toronto, March 6, 2012 – CFC (Canadian Film Centre) is pleased to host the 2nd LA module of the Telefilm Canada Features Comedy Lab, a CFC Film program presented in collaboration with Just For Laughs.
Chaired by internationally acclaimed actor/writer Eugene Levy, the Telefilm Canada Features Comedy Lab is designed to develop and package new Canadian feature comedy scripts by brokering creative and business relationships with top comedy, film and marketplace professionals.
The five comedy teams consisting of experienced and award winning Canadian producers, their writers and/or writer/directors are meeting with the following industry powerhouses while in LA:
- Jason Reitman (director/producer, YOUNG ADULT, UP IN THE AIR, JUNO)
- Nia Vardalos (writer, MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, LARRY CROWNE)
- Anne Fletcher (director, THE PROPOSAL, 27 DRESSES)
- Kirsten Smith (writer, 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU, LEGALLY BLONDE)
- Zanne Devine (producer, EASY A)
- John Landis (writer/director, THE BLUES BROTHERS, director, ANIMAL HOUSE)
- Ron Yerxa (producer, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, THE SWITCH)
- Eli Craig (writer/director, TUCKER AND DALE VS. EVIL)
- David Frankel (director, THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, MARLEY & ME)
- Brad Peyton (director, JOURNEY 2: THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND)
- Casting directors Mark Bennett, Pam Dixon, and Jennifer Euston
- Agents and managers from William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, the Gersh Agency, International Creative Management, United Talent Agency, Creative Artists Agency, Anonymous Content, Untitled Entertainment, Thruline Entertainment, and the Verve Talent and Literary Agency.
- As well as production, sales and acquisition companies such as Lionsgate, Voltage Pictures, Sierra/Affinity, A Bigger Boat, Shoreline Entertainment, Myriad Pictures, and Open Road Films.
The projects and teams participating are:
- BIRTHMARKED, a dramatic comedy from Quebec-based and Genie-nominated producers Pierre Even and Marie-Claude Poulin (CAFÉ DE FLORE), and writer Marc Tulin
- HOW TO CHANGE EVERYTHING WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING, a female slacker comedy from BC producer Blake Corbet, and writer/director Kris Lefcoe
- ZOMBIE LOVE, a zombie romantic comedy from BC producer Marc Stephenson and Ontario-based writer Jonathan Williams
- FIT TO PRINT, a character-driven light comedy from Ontario-based producers Michael McNamara and Judy Holm with writer/director Daniel Perlmutter
- HOW TO BREAK UP WITH YOUR MOTHER, a female-driven comedy from producers Elizabeth Levine and Adrian Salpeter, and writer Kellie Ann Benz from BC.
Previous projects from the Telefilm Canada Features Comedy Lab include SERVITUDE, to be theatrically released in March by Alliance Films, and gearing up to shoot in summer/fall 2012 are ATLANTIC GOLD, with producer Antonello Cozzolino from Cirrus, writer John Hazlett and director Donald Petrie (MISS CONGENIALITY); THAT BURNING FEELING, from writer Nick Citton, producer Marc Stephenson, and producer/director Jason James; and MY ASSHOLE NEIGHBOUR from co-writer Robert Chomiak, co-writer/director Andrew Currie (FIDO), and producer Mary Anne Waterhouse.