2014 Writers Guild of Canada Finalists Announced
By CFC Staff March 05, 2014 11:00
The Writers Guild of Canada (WGC) announced the finalists for the 18th annual WGC Screenwriting Awards. The WGC Screenwriting Awards celebrate the excellence of Canada's best screenwriters with a gala event on April 28, 2014, at Toronto's Koerner Hall.
This year, more than 190 scripts were nominated for awards in seven categories, with 30 chosen as finalists. In total, 50 screenwriters are up for awards. Several special awards, including the WGC Showrunner award and the Alex Barris Mentorship Award, will also be handed out at the gala event.
Among this year's finalists are the screenwriters behind TV favourites such as "Orphan Black", and "Continuum". Screenwriters for "Less Than Kind" were recognized with multiple nominations, as were the writers of "Orphan Black", "Finding Stuff Out", and "Almost Naked Animals". Elan Mastai is on the finalist list again with The F Word, and Anne Wheeler (The Horses of McBride) and Megan Martin ('99) (The Right Kind of Wrong) round out the Movies and Miniseries category.
The winners will be announced at the 2014 WGC Screenwriting Awards on Monday, April 28, 2014.
CFC would like to congratulate all of their alumni:
- Almost Naked Animals, Season 3 “Sun Scream” - Steve Westren ('93)
- Arctic Defenders - John Walker ('09)
Movie & Mini-Series
- The Right Kind of Wrong - Megan Martin ('99)
Shorts and Webseries
- I Saw You - Mina Shum ('91)
- Motive: The Dark Corner - Travis McDonald ('05)
- Ruby Skye P.I.: The Haunted Library “The Final Clue” - Jill Golick ('95)
- Less Than Kind, Season 4 “Female Trouble” - Jenn Engels ('05)
- This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Season XXI “Episode 7” - Bob Kerr (Comedy Lab '10)Contributing Writer: Mark McKinney (Bell Media Prime Time Mentor)
- Orphan Black, Season 1 “Parts Developed in an Unusual Manner” - Tony Elliott ('01)
- Orphan Black, Season 1 “Unconscious Selection” - Alex Levine ('08)
For a list of all the finalists, CLICK HERE.