OCAD U Students Pitch Innovative Product Ideas
By CFC Staff June 27, 2014 10:20
On Monday, June 24, 2014, students presented product ideas to a panel of digital experts on the Canadian Film Centre's campus. This was the cumulation of an eight week project in the OCAD U Digital Futures program, where students conducted research and development on five innovative digital or technology product ideas.
After presenting their pitches, students received feedback and advice from an expert panel of judges on how to improve the product's marketability, viability and revenue model. The industry panel included the following experts:
- Tom Barker, Chair, OCAD U Digital Futures
- Amy Davies, Associate Director, CFC Media Lab, Canadian Film Centre
- Gary Schwartz, CEO, Impact Mobile
- Ana Serrano, Chief Digital Officer, Canadian Film Centre
- Anita Sharma, Studio Entertainment
- Harumi Takeshita, Director of User Experience, eChannels, CIBC
The projects that were presented include:
- Glitch: Modern 2D jumping game for the smartphone and tablet.
- PersonaLab: A website that uses the Personas method of market identification to help designers better understand their target audience through an interactive, community-oriented and educational platform.
- PawzMonitor: Mobile application that allows dog owners to find their pet’s location via GPS and monitor their pet via webcam.
- HUSH: A tool for people to measure noise levels in shared workspaces and gaining insight on its affect on productivity.
- UrbanDialogue: Re-designing the development feedback process by introducing new signage of Development Proposals, to increase public awareness of urban development and increase opportunities for dialogue.
All of these projects look very promising and we look forward to seeing how they will develop in the future. The OCAD U Digital Futures program is offered in partnership with CFC Media Lab, which responds to the increasingly important and sophisticated role of digital technology as a catalyst for integrating societal, cultural and economic change.