CFC‘s 2013 Second Annual Bell Media Showrunner Bootcamp Heads to Los Angeles
CFC and Bell Media are pleased to announce participants, esteemed mentors, and guests of the 2013 Bell Media Showrunner Bootcamp. This advanced professional initiative is designed to equip three experienced TV writers with the knowledge, access, and executive skills necessary to establish themselves as showrunners. The annual bootcamp offers participants intimate and practical insight from top professionals in both Canada and in the United States.
“We are very happy with the success of the Bell Media Showrunner Bootcamp last year and really pleased to see the launch of this year's program,” said Corrie Coe, Senior Vice-President, Independent Production, Bell Media. “One of last year's participants, Daegan Fryklind, is now working as one of the showrunners on a new series for Bell Media's SPACE, which is a testament to the program and the service that it provides the production community.”
The Bootcamp began in Toronto last month and continues through mid-March delivering key meetings with top TV creators and business professionals throughout, including a week in Los Angeles Feb. 18 - 22.
The 2013 Bell Media Showrunner Bootcamp participants are:
- Jeremy Boxen, a Toronto-based screenwriter/producer who has racked up credits on a wide variety of television series including CRA$H & BURN (Gemini for Best Writing in a Dramatic Series), ENDGAME, and the hit urban-fantasy, LOST GIRL – for which he served as Co-Executive Producer on Season 2. Currently, Boxen is developing WELCOME TO THE VALLEY, a half-hour comedy for about an expat Canadian with mental health issues trying to make it big in Silicon Valley. On the feature film side, his dark comedy Cottage Country (starring Tyler Labine, Malin Akerman, and Lucy Punch; directed by Peter Wellington) is slated for release in 2013. Boxen is an alumnus of the 2002 Professional Screenwriting Program Bootcamp.
- Jenn Engels, an award-winning writer and producer, currently writing the new animated comedy series MOTHER UP! starring Eva Longoria. With a background in stand-up comedy and acting, Engels has contributed to many of Canada's top comedies, most notably all four seasons of the critically-acclaimed LESS THAN KIND, as well as SEED, InSECURITY, DAN FOR MAYOR, and 18 TO LIFE. Her current projects in development include the apocalypse comedy-drama THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT, and the hybrid medical drama THE MIDWIFE, both with Frantic Films. Engels is an alumna of the 2005 CFC Prime Time Television Program.
- Joseph Kay, a writer/producer of series television, most recently on the hit drama BOMB GIRLS. Previously, he was a co-creator and writer on the Gemini Award-winning comedy series LIVING IN YOUR CAR. Other credits include the cop drama THE LINE and the Gemini Award-winning legal drama THIS IS WONDERLAND. Before becoming a screenwriter, Kay worked as a transactional lawyer at the Bay Street law firm of Davies, Ward, Phillips & Vineberg, one of Canada's foremost securities law firms. Kay is an alumnus of the 2003 CFC Prime Time Television Program.
Over 40 TV creators, showrunners, executives and producers will lend their time and expertise in support of this year's bootcamp participants. This year's mentors/guests include:
- Steve Blackman (Executive Producer, PRIVATE PRACTICE)
- Morwyn Brebner (Executive Producer, SAVING HOPE, ROOKIE BLUE)
- Tassie Cameron (Executive Producer, ROOKIE BLUE)
- Robert Cooper (Executive Producer, SGU STARGATE UNIVERSE)
- Sheri Elwood (Executive Producer, CALL ME FITZ)
- Niv Fichman (Producer, MICHAEL: TUESDAYS & THURSDAY, SLINGS & ARROWS)
- David Fortier and Ivan Schneeberg (Co-president, Temple Street Productions)
- Josh Friedman (Executive Producer, TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES)
- Rachel Fulford (Vice President of Creative Affairs, Entertainment One)
- David Fury (Executive Producer LOST; 24; FRINGE)
- Scott Garvie (SVP, Business and Legal Affairs, Shaftesbury Films)
- Scott Gemmill (Executive Producer, NCIS: LOS ANGELES, ER)
- Michael Green (Executive Producer THE RIVER; Co-executive Producer HEROES)
- Robin Gurney (SVP, Original Programming at Showtime Networks)
- Adam Haight (SVP, Scripted Content, Shaftesbury Films)
- Noreen Halpern (President, Halfire Entertainment)
- Hart Hanson (Executive Producer, THE FINDER, BONES)
- David Hemingson (Executive Producer, DON'T TRUST THE B---- IN APARTMENT 23; Co-Executive Producer HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER)
- Sheila Hockin and John Weber (Executive Producers, THE BORGIAS, VIKINGS)
- Christina Jennings (Chairman/CEO, Shaftesbury Films)
- Rob Kenneally (Television Agent, Creative Artists Agency (CAA))
- Alex Kerr (VP of Development & Current Production UCP/External)
- Armand Leo (Vice President of Production, Entertainment One)
- Bob Martin (Executive Producer, MICHAEL: TUESDAYS & THURSDAY, SLINGS & ARROWS)
- Mark McKinney (Executive Producer, LESS THAN KIND, PICNICFACE)
- Paul Mather (Executive Producer, DAN FOR MAYOR, MEN WITH BROOMS)
- Glen Mazzara (Executive Producer, THE WALKING DEAD)
- Adrienne Mitchell and Janis Lundman (Executive Producers, BOMB GIRLS, DURHAM COUNTY)
- Peter Mohan (Executive Producer, THE LISTENER, LOST GIRL)
- John Morayniss (CEO, Entertainment One Television)
- Stephanie Morgenstern and Mark Ellis (Executive Producers, “FLASHPOINT”)
- Kevin Murphy (Executive Producer DEFIANCE; Co-executive Producer DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES)
- Stephen Nathan (Executive Producer, BONES, JOAN OF ARCADIA)
- Ellen Rand (Director of Development & Current Programming UCP/USA)
- Mel Rauch (Director of Business Development UCP)
- Richard Rothstein (SVP of Development & Current Programming UCP/USA)
- Rob Sheridan (Executive Producer, MAD LOVE, LITTLE MOSQUE ON THE PRAIRIE)
- David Shore (Executive Producer, HOUSE)
- Kurt Sutter (Executive Producer, SONS OF ANARCHY)
- Quinn Taylor (SVP, Movies, Miniseries and Acquisitions, ABC Entertainment Group)
- Karyn Usher (Executive Producer, PRISON BREAK, DELIRIUM)
- Dahvi Waller (Writer/Producer, MAD MEN)
- John Young (Managing Director, Temple Street Productions)
Last year's inaugural Showrunner Bootcamp participants were: Daegan Fryklind, currently in pre-production on the new original scripted drama series BITTEN for Bell Media's SPACE, and a Co-Executive Producer on CTV's new original series MOTIVE; Dennis Heaton, Executive Producer on CTV's MOTIVE, picked up by ABC for broadcast; and Shelley Eriksen, Co-Executive Producer on CONTINUUM.
To learn more about the program, please CLICK HERE.
Celebrating 25 years, CFC accelerates the careers of the brightest talent in film, television, screen acting, music, and digital media. A charitable organization, CFC is committed to promoting and investing in Canada's diverse talent; providing exhibition, financial, and distribution opportunities, industry collaborations and creative partnerships for top creative content leaders. CFC makes a significant cultural and economic contribution to Canada by launching the country's most creative ideas and voices to the world.
About Bell Media Independent Production
Bell Media has commissioned and co-produced some of Canada's most-watched and most-acclaimed original programming, while working with the best Canadian independent producers in the country. Hit CTV series include ratings success stories SAVING HOPE and THE LISTENER, and the recently concluded game changer FLASHPOINT. New for 2013 on CTV are the drama series MOTIVE and PLAYED (working title), relationship comedy SATISFACTION, THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, a Canadian-produced, complementary version of the hit international series, and a pilot for the half-hour comedy SPUN OUT. Scripted series on Bell Media specialty channels include two-time Emmy®-nominated hit DEGRASSI, mythological/action series PRIMEVAL: NEW WORLD, and the upcoming dramas ORPHAN BLACK and BITTEN. In total, Bell Media ordered 26 new original Canadian series in 2012, and put 35 scripted projects into development.
About Bell Media
Bell Media is Canada's premier multimedia company with leading assets in television, radio and digital. With passion and an unrelenting commitment to excellence, Bell Media entertains, informs and inspires Canadians. Bell Media owns 28 conventional stations, including CTV, Canada's #1 television network, and owns and operates 30 specialty channels, including TSN, Canada's #1 specialty channel, and RDS, Canada's #1 French-language specialty channel. Bell Media also owns 33 radio stations, dozens of websites including the TheLoop.ca by Sympatico, and Dome Productions Inc. Bell Media is owned by BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company. For more on Bell Media, please CLICK HERE.